Save for Later is a Safari 5 extension that allows you to add pages to your Read It Later reading list.
NOTE: This software is abandonware. Read it Later is now known as Pocket, and they have their own Safari extension that I advise using instead. You can still use Save for Later if you really want to, but I don’t have any interest in maintaining it anymore, and there are bugs in it. Sorry!
Download Save for Later and double-click it. Safari will ask if you want to install the extension. Click “Install” and then bring up Safari’s Preferences again. Select the “Extensions” tab, click on Save for Later’s entry in the extension list, and fill in your Read It Later username and password.
If you don’t see this button, right-click the toolbar and select “Customize Toolbar”, then drag the button to where you want it and click “Done”.
Current features include:
- Save the current page to Read It Later.
- Right-click a link to add it to Read It Later.
1.16 (July 11, 2011)
- Fix for non-latin characters being caught up in the URL encoding of page titles. Now I’m only encoding ampersands.
1.15 (July 9, 2011)
- Not quite an emergency update, but some more bug fixing I missed in the last release.
- I have an icon! Check it out!
- Corrected an issue where the “Saved to Read It Later” dialog would not disappear if the save feature was invoked more than one time on a single page.
- Safari 5.1 feature: The extension will now generate a popover window prompting you for your Read It Later account information if you have not yet entered it. The context menu action still generates the modal dialog, and Safari 5.0.x users will still see the same modal prompt as always.
1.12 (July 9, 2011)
- An update! Thank goodness!
- Fixed the right-click menu item so that it will actually save links. I’ve tried to be as intelligent with this feature as possible, so that it will pick up on the content of the link’s text as the title to be used, but failing everything else, it will use the URL itself.
1.11 (June 14, 2010)
- Added a contextual menu item for adding links to Read It Later. The item is “intelligent”, so it won’t appear unless you right-click a link.
I’ve tried to accommodate for anchor tags with additional HTML embedded in them (like <i> etc.), but there may be some edge cases where the link detection breaks. If you run into such a situation, please let me know, and include the page and link you’re trying to save.
1.01 (June 10, 2010)
- Updated confirmation message for saving link to Read It Later. No more “Data Saved: 200″.
- Added more detailed error messages if saving a link fails for a server-related reason.
1.0 (June 9, 2010)
- Initial Release, allows for saving the current page to Read It Later.
Save For Later is copyright 2010 Revision 1 Studios.